This National Trust Register Property was completed in 1826 by Wade Glover for his bride Caroline who gave birth to their first of twelve children the same year. More than six generations of Wade's and Caroline' descendent kept the congenial spirit of Oakland alive with the Manor House remaining in family ownership for a period of 142 years.
Although updated with modern conveniences since then it still remains an excellent example of the construction, architecture and fine interior detail of a Manor House befitting its plantation owner and the then 20,000 acres that surrounded the house.
The floor plan of Oakland began as simple but spacious two over two with a center hall and a deep front porch Gallery (11x43) and a matching rear porch. The two first floor rooms flank the center hallway and offer a formal dining room to one side and a striking but comfortable Parlor.
The center hall is graced with the original four foot diameter plaster ceiling medallion and a wide three level stairway that transitions to a spacious sitting area lit by tall facing windows providing light regardless of the day or season.
All of the guest and public rooms are dressed in a combination of antiques, high-end reproductions and quality window treatments as well as a large collection of blue-white china, historic maps and a wide variety of paintings.
The modern and highly functional kitchen is located adjacent to the dining room with swing door access and open passage to the family room. Both of which were created in earlier times by enclosing the rear porch and adding interior woodwork to match the balance of the house. All of these spaces are open to our guests as are the large outdoor patio (March-October). In addition to our guest rooms, we have accommodations for horses.
Wonderful place to spend our “Masters Weekend”. Such a great time in a beautiful home. Thank You
Elise & Kyle – Atlanta, GA